The consultation process is the core workflow where veterinary practitioners meet with clients and patients. During the consultation, veterinary treatments or diagnostics are performed, and you can add clinical notes, treatment charges, discharge instructions and other information on the consultation page. When the consultation and treatments have been completed, you can mark the patient as waiting for discharge.
This article provides instructions for admitting a patient to the clinic and beginning a consultation. Marking a patient as arrived is an optional step. It is typically used when a receptionist handles admissions before the veterinarian begins the consultation. When a veterinarian handles the admission process and begins the consultation directly, the 'mark as arrived' step can be skipped.
Marking a Patient as Arrived
When the Patient Has a Booked Appointment
- Open the patient's appointment in one of the following ways:
- In the Appointments calendar, right-click on the appointment and select Admit appointment from the pop-up menu (a).
- Select the appointment in the calendar to open it. In the Appointment details dialogue, select Mark as arrived to consultation (b).
- On your Dashboard, find the appointment using the Upcoming filter under Scheduled appointments and select the Mark as arrived to consultation button on the appointment row (c).
- On the Mark as arrived to consultation page, you can view and check the appointment details, edit them and add notes.
- When ready, select one of the Mark as arrived buttons depending on which page you want to be directed to.
When an Existing Patient Does Not Have a Booked Appointment
If the patient's information is already saved in your Provet Cloud, the easiest way to admit the patient without an appointment is to start from the patient's page:
- Find the patient using the super search.
- On the patient's page, select New > Consultation.
- On the Mark as arrived to consultation page, add the appointment details and select one of the Mark as arrived buttons depending on which page you want to be directed to.
When the Patient is New
If a new patient comes in without an appointment, start by creating a new appointment. In the New appointment dialogue:
- Select New client next to the Client field and add the client details in the New client dialogue. Last name is required, and phone number is required by default, but you can disable the requirement by clicking the red X button at the end of the row.
- Select New patient next to the Patient field and add the patient details in the New patient dialogue. Name and species are required.
After saving the appointment, continue as in When the Patient Has a Booked Appointment.
Finding Arrived Patients and Beginning a Consultation
1. Find an appointment marked as arrived and go to the consultation page.
The easiest way to find appointments marked as arrived is to go the Dashboard and use the Marked as arrived filter (1) under Recent consultations. To go to the consultation page, select the green stethoscope button at the end of the row (2).
Other options for opening an appointment and going to the consultation page:
- In the appointment calendar, right-click the appointment and select Consultation from the pop-up menu (a).
- Select the appointment in the calendar to open it. In the Appointment details dialogue, select Go to consultation (b).
- Find the patient and go to the patient's page. Select Consultation at the end of the tab row (c).
2. Start the consultation.
Optionally, you can change the appointment status manually to 'Consultation' by selecting the Start consultation button under General info - Consultation.
Skipping 'Mark as arrived' and Going Directly to Consultation
If you want to begin the consultation directly, start as in Marking a Patient as Arrived, but skip the the 'Mark as arrived' step:
- In the Appointment details dialogue, select the small arrow button next to Mark as arrived to consultation > Go to consultation (1).
- On the Mark as arrived to consultation page, select Start Consultation (2).