Medicine, supply, and food items can have both package and unit descriptions and size usage selections to help with inventory management and item usage. Medicine and food items are typically ordered and received by packages but dispensed, administered, and sold by units. Sometimes, the packages and units can be the same, for example, a shampoo medicine item may be ordered to stock and sold by bottles or a bag of prescription food received and sold by bags.
To edit the package and unit settings of an item:
- Go to Catalog > Items.
- Open the item you want to edit and go to the Stock and pricing tab.
- Edit the package and unit settings under Stock options:
- Package description: Add a description of the package size, for example, bottle, carton, box, or case. When a user selects package as the usage size, this description provides additional information about the exact size of the item.
- Unit description: Add a description of the unit size, for example, capsule, tablet, dose, or mL. When a user selects unit as the usage size, this description provides additional information about the exact size of the item. The unit description also provides information for understanding the package size and description.
- Default usage size: Select the default size (package or unit) for when the item is selected on a consultation or counter sale. Users can change the usage size if required when selecting the item.
- Units in the package: Add how many units are included in one package. When a user selects package as the usage size, this provides additional information about the exact quantity and size of the item, for example, 1 package (vial) is the equivalent of 20 units (millilitres).
- Minimum usage quantity: Add the minimum quantity that can be selected for the item on a consultation or a counter sale. For example, a strip of Clavamox (14 tablets) could be '1' for the minimum usage quantity, restricting the staff from dispensing 0.5 of a strip. A minimum quantity may be required depending on the department settings. If not, you can also leave this blank in which case users can select any quantity. Note that this value will be the default quantity of the item, and it overrides any other default quantity settings.
- Select Save.