Creating an Automatic Reminder
Automatic Reminder Rule Examples
Automatic reminders are triggered and sent based on reminder rules. You can create reminder rules for examination services, vaccinations, blood work, various diagnostics, routine injections, or other professional services. A reminder for the next due service is then automatically triggered by the rule conditions, and sent to the client according to the defined sending schedule.
It is important that reminder rules are specific enough to be relevant to the service, but not too specific so that the scenario never applies. Also make sure to define your reminder rules so that there are no overlapping or duplicate templates which may cause unnecessary confusion.
See examples of automatic reminder rule settings.
Learn more about Provet Cloud reminders.
Creating an Automatic Reminder
1. Add a new reminder rule and define the triggering settings.
- Go to Settings > Items & Lists > Reminders and select + Add in the Automatic reminder creation rules section.
- Add a Name for the reminder rule.
- Select the Reminder template you want to use for the reminder messages to clients.
- For Trigger reminder creation in, select whether the reminder is created through consultations, counter sales, or both.
- For Trigger reminder creation when, select whether the reminder is created when an item defined in rule conditions is added or when the consultation or counter sale invoice is finalised.
- Select the Send method: email, SMS, post, or external. You can use the 'post' option as an internal reminder to contact the client in some other way, for example, by phone. If you use an integrated third-party service for sending reminders, select the 'external' option.
- In Set reminder expiry/due date after, define how many days after the trigger the service is due.
- In Send before, define how many days before the expiry date a reminder is sent to the client.
- In Create reminder if, select if the reminder should be created only if all or if any of the defined conditions are met.
- To activate the rule, select the Active checkbox.
2. Define the reminder rule conditions.
You must define at least one condition for the rule. To add a new condition, select + Add and define the following options for each condition:
- Condition that triggers the reminder: item, patient species, patient age in months, consultation diagnosis, or number of consultations for the patient.
- Comparison operator: depends on the selected condition.
- Value for the condition: for example, a vaccination item, or 'cat' as the patient species.
For example, 'Item' 'in' 'Procedure: Exam, annual' will send a reminder to a client when their pet is due for an annual exam. See more rule examples.
To remove a condition, select the the trash bin button at the end of the condition row.
3. Link other rules that this rule overrides.
To avoid sending duplicate reminders, you can link other reminder rules that are considered duplicates of this rule in the Overridden rules field. This reminder rule then overrides the other rules.
The Overridden by field shows if this rule is overridden by some other rule(s).
For example: A rabies vaccine can be valid for 1 year or 3 years, and a patient receives a vaccine that is valid for 3 years. If you use the same vaccination procedure item for both, the 3 year reminder rule should override the 1 year reminder rule and you would add the 1 year rule in the Overridden rules field for the 3 year rule. The 1 year reminder rule would then show the 3 year rule in the Overridden by field.
See also Vaccine Reminders.
4. Save the automatic reminder rule.
When finished, select Save.
The rule is added for the currently active department. To view all rules from all departments, select the empty option from the Department list at the top of the Items & lists - Reminders section.
To edit or delete automatic reminder rules, select the pen or trash bin button at the end of the rule row.
Automatic Reminder Rule Examples
Annual Exam Reminder
When the consultation invoice for a patient's annual exam is finalised, a reminder is triggered for the next annual exam. The reminder will be sent 45 days before the annual exam due date.
When creating reminder rules for vaccination services, it is important to select the vaccine procedure as the trigger item and not the medicine item. If you use the medicine item, it will trigger every reminder rule that has the same item selected, and this will generate multiple false reminders.
Learn more about the recommended vaccine item setup.
A rabies vaccine can be valid for 1 year or 3 years, and a patient receives a vaccine that is valid for 3 years. The vaccination procedure item is the same for both. In this case, the 3 year reminder rule should override the 1 year reminder rule. If you use different vaccination procedure items for the 1 and 3 year vaccines, there is no need to override rules.
A patient gets a 3 month supply (90 days) of medication. You want to remind the client to give the medicine once a month and send a reminder two days before the due date each month.
Create three reminder rules for the medicine item:
- First reminder: Set reminder expiry/due date after: 30 days, Send before: 2 days
- Second reminder: Set reminder expiry/due date after: 60 days, Send before: 2 days
- Third reminder: Set reminder expiry/due date after: 90 days, Send before: 2 days
Call Client Reminder
You can also use reminders as a tool to remind staff about patient-related tasks, for example, to call the client after a patient's procedure.
- Create a reminder template for the client call. It can be a simple template that only has a title such as 'Call client after surgery'.
- Create reminder rule using, for example, the Post sending method and set '0' for the Send before setting since you do not want to send this reminder to a client by email or SMS, but only have it as an internal staff reminder. You will then see the reminder on the Clients & Patients > Reminders page and the Reminder tab of the client page with the due date highlighted in orange when the client call is due or red if the due date has passed.
Reminder Message Examples
Below are examples of email and SMS messages that a client would receive based on an annual exam reminder rule such as above. Several reminders may also be included in one message if combining reminder messages is enabled in the settings.
Please sign in to leave a comment.