You can add a handling fee to medicine items to cover the cost of handling the medicine. A handling fee can be applied to both dispensed and administered medicines. For administered medicines, you can use a handling fee and an injection fee in combination.
To define the general handling fee settings and default fee options, go to Settings > Department > Handling & injection fees.
1. Decide if you want to use default handling fees.
If you want to use default fees, select the options you want for Use default fees:
- Handling fee: Select this option if you want to add a default handling fee for medicines.
- Handling fee for partial packages: Select this option if you want to use a separate handling fee for partial packages.
When a default fee is enabled, you can select in the individual medicine item settings if you want to use the default handling fee or add the item its own handling fee.
From the Handling fee calculation method drop-down list, select how you want the handling fees to be calculated:
- Fixed fee: If you want to set a fixed default fee, select this option and add the fees in the Default handling fee and Default handling fee for partial package fields.
- Percentage fee: If you want to set a percentage-based default fee, select this option and add the percentages in the Default handling fee percentage and Default handling fee percentage for partial package fields.
2. Define how you want the handling fee to be added to invoices.
From the Handling fee method drop-down list, select the option you want to use:
Add fee as a separate row on the invoice: Select this option if you want to add the handling fee as a separate item on the invoice. For most flexibility on reports, it is recommended that you add the handling fee as a separate row.
- In the Handling fee item field, select the item that will be used on the invoice for the handling fee (the price of this item will not affect the fee). If you use handling fees for partial packages, select the item for Handling fee item for partial package.
- You can also add a Maximum handling fee per invoice.
- Include fee in medicine price: Select this option if you want to include the handling fee in the medicine price and not show it as a separate item on the invoice. Note that if the handling fee is added to the medicine price, it will have the same VAT as the medicine.
For Handling fee charged by default, select if you want the handling fee to be applied by default for dispensed and/or administered medicines.
For Allow user to change handling fee checkbox values, select if you want to allow users who have permissions to add and edit items to be able to select whether a medicine item added in a consultation should include the fee. If you select these options, the fee defined for the item is shown, but users can choose not to use it. If you do not select the options, users cannot deselect the fee.
3. Define the handling fee settings for individual medicine items.
- Go to Settings > Items & Lists > Items.
- Add a new medicine item or open the item you want to edit.
- On the General tab, select the Default usage method and add other relevant information for the item.
- On the Stock and Pricing tab, add the handling fee. For administered medicines, you can also add an injection fee if necessary.
- If you want to use the default fee set in the department settings, select the Use default handling fee checkbox.
- If you want to add a different fee, deselect the default fee checkbox and add the fee in the Handling fee field. You can add a separate handling fee for partial packages in the Handling fee for partial packages field.
- Add other relevant information on the Stock and Pricing tab and save the item.