The recommended vaccination item set up workflow is designed uniquely for several reasons:
- The same medicine product is used with varying vaccination expiration dates
- Inventory levels, as well as batch and expiration information of the medicine product, should be tracked
- A unique item is needed to trigger vaccination reminders of different expiration dates
- Clear communication and informational reference with clients on invoices and patient history
- Pricing of wholesale cost and selling price can still be managed
Set Up The Medicine Item
- Create a medicine item using the 'Add item' drop-down button on the items' page
- Ensure the item name field is completed
- Ensure the item is marked as 'Vaccination' with the checkbox highlighted below
- Complete 'Vaccination against following disease' field by manually entering the disease name
- Select the vaccination type: Killed, MLV, Recombinant
- Define 'Effect groups' & 'Effect expiration'
- The name field should be completed with an identifying title such as 1-year or 3-year
- Expiration days field should be completed with the number of days the vaccination is valid for
- Age min (months) / Age max (months) fields should be completed with the default suggested minimum age the effect expiration would be selected for with the maximum age a suggested default maximum
- Complete additional product information as desired. Commonly manufacturer information is defined
- Define 'Sales tax' percentage
- Ensure 'Selling price' and any additional pricing fields are defined as $0. Please note, cost fields can be defined as desired, however, any pricing associated with the medicine product will be invoiced to the client in addition to any procedure level pricing. Most commonly, medicine level pricing is defined as $0
- Select 'Save' when all appropriate information has been defined and reviewed for accuracy
Set Up Procedure Item(s)
- Create procedure item(s). Your item list may support several versions of the vaccination procedure item. For example, Rabies 1 year, Rabies 3 year. You will need to complete the following steps for each version.
- Link your matching vaccine medicine item previously created through the Stock & pricing tab > 'Linked items' field
- Link your matching vaccine medicine item previously created as the automation trigger through the 'Auto open linked item modal' field. Please note this field is only available for US department countries.
- Define 'Sales tax' percentage
- Complete any additional procedure information as desired
- Complete the 'Selling price' field with the desired amount. The procedure item would be the most common way to invoice from, versus against the medicine item.
- Select 'Save' once all appropriate information has been defined and reviewed for accuracy
How to Set Up Vaccine Reminders
When preparing reminder rules for vaccination services, it is important to select the vaccine procedure as the trigger item(s) and NOT the medicine item. If the medicine item is used as the trigger item, it will trigger every reminder rule which has this same item selected. This would generate multiple false reminders for the patient record.
Using Vaccination Items in Consultation
During an ongoing consultation when adding vaccine treatment items, it is important to select the procedure vaccination item (which has a medicine vaccination item linked). When the procedure treatment item is added, the medicine item is also automatically added to the consultation.
In order for vaccination effect expirations to be recognized properly within a patient's vaccination history, the medicine item prompt MUST BE opened, the effect expiration confirmed, and 'save' selected. If this step is forgotten, no vaccination expiration date will be recognized within the vaccination history of the patient page. Patient reminders will still generate as expected without issue and are not connected to an item's effect expiration settings.
Patient vaccination reminders are fully triggered by the invoicing of specific items. As discussed earlier, reminder rules should contain the vaccination procedure item as the trigger condition item. Once the correct item is added to the consultation and invoice finalized, the appropriate corresponding patient reminders will be generated.