Using the Refund selected items credit note option, you can credit and refund selected items on an invoice fully or partially. This may be needed, for example, if a customer wants to return one item on an invoice or you want to give a partial refund to a customer on a procedure. You can also replace refunded items with other items if required.
Note that if there is an insurance claim on the invoice, it is not possible to credit the invoice partially.
For more information about the different credit note options in Provet Cloud, see Overview of Credit Notes.
Crediting and Refunding an Item or a Part of an Item
When the invoice has been finalised and payments have been added, follow the steps below to credit and refund a part of the invoice. If the invoice has been finalised, but payments have not yet been added on the invoice, you can use the Credit and invoice again option to credit the original invoice, edit the items, and invoice again.
1. Select the item(s) to be refunded or replaced.
- On the invoice page, open the Credit note dialogue and select Refund selected items. The refund dialogue opens.
- Depending on your department's credit note date settings, you may be able to select the date used for the credit note. If you want to use the original invoice date as the credit note date, select the Use original invoice date checkbox. If you do not select the checkbox, the current date is used for the credit note.
- If you want to be able to edit the credit note after creating it, select the Create credit note as draft checkbox. This is useful, for example, if you want to add another item to replace the credited item.
- Select the rows you want to credit. If you want to credit an invoice row partially, adjust Quantity to refund or Percentage change. For example, to refund 50% of a procedure, enter -50 in the Percentage change field. You can also add a comment in the Reason for credit field.
- Note that if a medicine item has a dispense or injection fee included in the medicine price, the fee is also credited with the medicine. If the fee is a separate item, the medicine and fee items must be selected separately.
- Select Continue. The credit note is created and the due sum is negative. A pop-up message is shown at the bottom of the page with a link to the original invoice.
2. Add the replacement item if required.
If you selected Create credit note as draft, you can add a correct item to the draft credit note to replace the refunded item if required.
3. Finalise the credit note and add the payment.
Depending on your workflow, finalise the credit invoice and add the payment. Note that the value must be negative when you are returning money to the client. If you replaced an item, the value may also be positive if the price of the new item was higher.
If your clinic uses the prepayments function and you have the required rights, you can also transfer the refund to client prepayments.
Viewing Invoices and Credit Notes on the Client Page
You can view a client's invoices and credit notes on the Billing tab of the client page. A credit note always has a blue link button on the left side of the Invoice button, and an invoice that has a credit note connected to it has a link button is on the right side.
With a full or partial refund, you will find the original invoice and the credit note as shown below. A custom prefix (e.g. 'CN' in the image) can be defined for credit notes in the credit note settings.
- The invoice row of the original invoice (1) includes links to the connected consultation and the invoice page. The blue link button on the right side of the invoice button opens the credit note created for the invoice.
- On the credit note row (2), the invoice button opens the credit note page and the blue link button on the left side of the invoice button opens the original invoice.