One-click printing (direct printing) allows skipping the operating system's print dialogue, making printing convenient and fast. One-click printing is available for invoices and patient history as well as for label printing if configured.
To enable one-click printing, you need to install the Provet Cloud ProPrint application on every computer you want to have one-click printing available on. If you want to use one-click printing also for printing PDF labels, you need to set it up in the PDF label printing settings. You can enable one-click printing centrally for all users in a department (location) or allow individual users to enable it for their own account.
This article covers installation instructions for macOS computers. For Windows computers, see Setting Up One-Click Printing for Windows.
Requirements and Prerequisites
Provet Cloud ProPrint for one-click printing requires macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or newer.
A printer must be set up in your System Preferences. Network printers can also be used if they are added in System Preferences.
1. Install and configure Provet Cloud ProPrint.
- Download the application bundle file from here and move the Provet Cloud ProPrint.app application bundle to your /Applications or ~/Applications folder.
- Open the Provet Cloud ProPrint application. If you see a system warning about incoming network connections, allow the connections for Provet Cloud ProPrint.
- From the Provet Could ProPrint menu bar button, select Settings. The settings dialogue opens.
- In the Printer section, select the plus button in the bottom left corner of dialogue to add a new printer. The printer dialogue opens.
- Add a Type for the printer and select a Printer from the list. The list of available printers is fetched from the system. If a printer is not available, check that the printer is available in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.
- You can adjust the paper size and paper margins. This is mostly relevant to label printers that use non-standard paper sizes. All paper size settings are in millimetres. If you leave the paper size and paper margins options blank, the system paper size and margins are used instead (set in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners). When using a conventional office printer, these are most likely the settings you want to use. Note that if you are setting up multiple printers in Provet Cloud ProPrint with different paper sizes, you need to adjust the paper size settings because macOS only has one global default paper size.
- Select Add.
To edit an existing printer, double click the printer row in the Settings dialogue. To delete an existing printer, select the printer and then the minus button.
Provet Cloud ProPrint provides the option to change the port that the WebSocket server listens to. The default port is 12212 and the default setting will work for most users. Note that if you change the port and save the settings, the print server is restarted.
2. Enable and test the one-click printing feature in Provet Cloud.
You can control centrally whether direct printing is enabled for all users in the department or whether users can enable or disable it for their own account.
Go to Settings > General > Integrations > Direct printing and select the blue pen button to open the Direct printing with WebApp Hardware Bridge section. From the Department policy on using WebApp Hardware Bridge drop-down list, select the option you want to use:
- Determined by user profile: Each user can enable the feature for their own account.
- Enabled for all users in department
- Disabled for all users in department
When you select the first option, your users can enable direct printing for their account as follows:
- Open your user profile in Provet Cloud and find the Direct printing section.
- To open the section for editing, select the blue pen button next to the section title.
- Tick the Enable one-click PDF printing checkbox.
- Select Save.
Printing service status should now show as 'Connected' with a ticked checkbox. You may have to use the Refresh button if the service does not connect right away.
To print a test file, select the Test print button.
3. Optional: Set up one-click printing for PDF label printing.
If you want to use one-click printing for labels, you must also in the PDF label printing settings. Note that this functionality may require a considerable amount of time to set up for perfect results.
Setup Example: Dymo LabelWriter 550
Following these instructions, you can configure a Dymo LabelWriter 550 device to the correct defaults for printing S0722400 Large Address labels. It is assumed that the device and its drivers have already been installed according to the manufacturer’s standard setup instructions. Among other things, this ensures that the required paper (label) sizes are registered to the operating system.
1. Set up PDF label printing in Provet Cloud.
For instructions, see PDF Label Printing Setup.
2. Match the print types.
Make sure that the printer's Type in the Provet Cloud ProPrint configuration settings matches the One-click printer type in the PDF printer settings (step 3). In the example below, both are named DYMO.
3. Adjust paper width and height in Provet Cloud ProPrint.
In the ProPrint label printer settings, set the paper width and height the wrong way around (height value in the width field and width value in the height field).
4. Print test labels.
Print some test labels to check that everything is set up correctly and adjust the settings if necessary. For how and where you can print labels, see Printing Labels.
If there are any issues or problems with label printing, see Label Printing Troubleshooting.
When one-click printing is in use, you can see a ticked checkbox icon in the print button. An unticked box means that there is something wrong with the service, and the web browser's printing functionality will be used instead (you will likely see a preview of the document which you have to acknowledge with one extra click to print).
Provet Cloud ProPrint Updates
When an update is available for Provet Cloud ProPrint, users will see a notification and they can either install the update, postpone it, or skip the new version entirely.
To check for updates manually, users can select Check for updates from the Provet Cloud ProPrint button in the menu bar.