One-click printing (direct printing) allows skipping the operating system's print dialogue, which makes printing quicker and easier. One-click printing is available for invoices, patient history, and PDF label printing.
The Provet Cloud ProPrint application must be installed on every workstation you want to have one-click printing available on. In the Provet Cloud settings, you can enable one-click printing for all users in a department (location) or allow users to enable it for their own account.
To use one-click printing for printing PDF labels, you also need to set it up in the PDF label printing settings.
This article covers one-click printing installation and setup instructions for setting up one-click printing on macOS workstations. For Windows workstations, see Setting Up One-Click Printing for Windows.
Requirements and Prerequisites
Provet Cloud ProPrint for one-click printing requires macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or newer.
A printer must be set up in your System Preferences. You can also use network printers.
1. Install and configure Provet Cloud ProPrint.
- Download the application bundle file and move the Provet Cloud ProPrint.app application bundle to your /Applications or ~/Applications folder.
- Open the Provet Cloud ProPrint application. If you see a system warning about incoming network connections, allow the connections for Provet Cloud ProPrint.
- From the Provet Could ProPrint menu bar button, select Settings. The settings dialogue opens.
- In the Printer section, select the plus button in the bottom left corner of dialogue to add a new printer. The printer dialogue opens.
- Add a Type for the printer and select a Printer from the list. The list of available printers is fetched from the system. If a printer is not available, check that the printer is available in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners. Note that if you want to print different types of documents on different printers, you need to set up the printers on different workstations using the INVOICE print type. For label printing, see 3. Optional: Set up one-click printing for PDF label printing..
- You can adjust the paper size and paper margins. This is mostly relevant to label printers that use non-standard paper sizes. All paper size settings are in millimetres. If you leave the paper size and paper margins options blank, the system paper size and margins are used instead (set in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners). When using a conventional office printer, these are most likely the settings you want to use. Note that if you are setting up multiple printers in Provet Cloud ProPrint with different paper sizes, you need to adjust the paper size settings because macOS only has one global default paper size.
- Select Add.
To edit an existing printer, double click the printer row in the Settings dialogue. To delete an existing printer, select the printer and then the minus button.
You can also change the port that the WebSocket server listens to. The default port is 12212, and the default setting will work for most users. Note that if you change the port and save the settings, the print server is restarted.
2. Enable and test the one-click printing feature in Provet Cloud.
You can enable one-click centrally for all users in a department or allow users to enable or disable it for their own account.
Go to Settings > General > Integrations > Direct printing and select the blue pen button to open the Direct printing software connection section. From the Department policy on direct printing drop-down list, select the option you want to use:
- Determined by user profile
- Enabled for all users in department
- Disabled for all users in department
When you select the first option, your users can enable direct printing for their own account as follows:
- Open your user profile in Provet Cloud and find the Direct printing section.
- To open the section for editing, select the blue pen button next to the section title.
- Tick the Enable one-click PDF printing checkbox.
- Select Save.
Printing service status should show as 'Connected' with a ticked checkbox. You may have to use the Refresh button if the service does not connect right away.
To print a test file, select the Test print button.
3. Optional: Set up one-click printing for PDF label printing.
If you want to use one-click printing for labels, you must also set it up in the PDF label printing settings: make sure that the Type of the printer in the Provet Cloud ProPrint configuration settings matches the One-click printer type in the PDF label printer settings (DYMO in the example below).
For recommended settings, see the configurations for one-click printing with Provet Cloud ProPrint in Recommended Configurations for PDF Label Printing. If you want to use a setup that is not included in the supported configurations list, please note that you are responsible for configuring and validating the setup yourself. Note that this functionality may require a considerable amount of time to set up for perfect results.
4. Print test labels.
Print some test labels to check that everything is set up correctly and adjust the settings if necessary. For how and where you can print labels, see Printing Labels.
If there are any issues or problems with label printing, see Label Printing Troubleshooting.
When one-click printing is in use, you can see a ticked checkbox icon in the print button. An unticked box means that there is something wrong with the service. In this case, the web browser's printing functionality will be used instead (you will likely see a preview of the document which you have to acknowledge with one extra click to print).
Provet Cloud ProPrint Updates
When an update is available for Provet Cloud ProPrint, users will see a notification and they can either install the update, postpone it, or skip the new version entirely.
To check for updates manually, users can select Check for updates from the Provet Cloud ProPrint button in the menu bar.