The triage function in Provet Cloud helps you to manage emergency appointments. You can categorise appointments by urgency so that veterinary staff can clearly identify which patients require attention as a priority.
Overview of the triage workflow steps:
- Select a triage ward for the appointment and mark the patient as arrived.
- Select a triage category for the patient.
- Start the consultation for the triaged patient.
The triage function is available in your Provet Cloud if it has been enabled in your department settings. The available triage categories, wards, and other options are defined in the settings.
1. Admit the patient to a triage ward.
- Create an appointment or start a consultation from the patient's page.
- Existing client and patient: When the patient already exists in your Provet Cloud, you can start a consultation without creating an appointment first: on the patient page, select New > Consultation in the upper right-hand corner of the page. This takes you to the Mark as arrived to consultation page.
New client and patient: You must first create a new appointment in the appointment calendar and then select Mark as arrived to consultation.
Tip: If you book the appointment to a triage ward in the appointment calendar, the ward is automatically added to the appointment details. The triage ward is also automatically added if you book an appointment for a veterinarian whose shift is linked to the ward.
- Select a triage ward (if not already added in the appointment details). Note that the patient will not show up on the triage dashboard if a triage ward has not been selected.
- Select Mark as arrived & go to dashboard. Note that when a triage ward is selected, you cannot start the consultation before you have marked the patient as arrived and triaged the patient.
When you select Mark as arrived & go to dashboard, the triage dashboard opens. You can also go to the triage dashboard from the left-hand side navigation: Dashboard > Triage tab.
The admitted patient shows at the top of the triage patient list. The Triage column shows the time when the patient was marked as arrived. The time stays red until you have triaged the patient.
If patient locations are used, you can add a location by selecting the question mark hyperlink in the Patient location column. You can also add or edit the staff by selecting the hyperlink in the Pers. column.
The triage categories used in your department are shown at the top of the page, each showing the current number of patients in the category.
2. Triage the patient.
- Select the +Triage button at the end of the row. A dialogue opens.
- Select a triage category. You can also add preliminary clinical notes and patient status information if these options are available.
- Select Save.
On the triage dashboard, the Triage column now shows both the time when the patient was triaged and when the patient was marked as arrived. If the maximum time of the triage category is exceeded before the consultation has been started, the time is highlighted in red.
3. Begin the consultation for the triaged patient.
- When you are on the triage dashboard, the easiest way to begin the consultation is to select the patient name hyperlink. This takes you to the patient's page, where you can first review the patient's medical history if needed.
- Alternatively, you can go to the consultation page from the appointment calendar or from the main dashboard.
- On the patient's page, find the triaged consultation under Consultation history. The Status column shows an ambulance icon and the assigned triage category label. To go to the consultation page, select the stethoscope button at the end of the row.
- Start the consultation as usual, either by using the Start consultation button or by beginning to add information on the consultation page. When you start the consultation, the patient is removed from the triage dashboard. The ambulance icon and triage category label also disappear from the consultation row on the patient page and dashboard. The triage category label is still shown on the consultation page under General info.